Moving a managed ESXi/ESX host from one VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server to another Virtual Center Server/vCenter Server (1004775)
This article provides instructions to move an ESXi/ESX host from one VMware VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server to another VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server when using standard virtual switches on all ESXi/ESX hosts.
When moving a managed ESXi/ESX host from one VirtualCenter/vCenter Server to another, VMware recommends that you move the virtual machines and management kernel back to a Virtual Switch (vSwitch) from a Virtual Distributed Switch (vDS); then perform the migration. After the migration, recreate the vDS. If you are using vCenter Server 5.1 or later, you can use the export/import functionality of the vDS to move your existing vDS configuration. For more information, see Exporting/importing/restoring Distributed Switch configs using vSphere Web client (2034602).
To move an ESXi/ESX host from one VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server to another, remove the host from VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server, then add the host to a new VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server. This operation will not affect the state of any virtual machines running on the ESXi/ESX, the historical performance data of both the ESXi/ESX and its virtual machines will however be purged.
Removing the ESXi/ESX host from VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server
To remove the ESXi/ESX host from VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server:
- If the managed host is in a cluster, right-click the cluster. Set the Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) mode to manual anddisable VMware High Availability by deselecting Configure HA.
- Click OK and wait for the reconfiguration to complete.
- Click Inventory in the navigation bar, expand the inventory as needed, and click the appropriate managed host.
- Right-click the managed host icon in the inventory panel and choose Disconnect (wait for the task to complete).
- Right-click the managed host icon in the inventory panel and choose Remove.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the managed host and all its associated virtual machines.
Adding the ESXi/ESX host to a new VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server
To add the ESXi/ESX host to a new VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server:
- Connect VMware Infrastructure Client/vSphere Client/vSphere Web Client to the new VirtualCenter Server/vCenter Server.
- Click Inventory in the navigation bar.
- Expand the inventory as needed, and click the appropriate datacenter or cluster.
- Click File > New > Add Host.
- In the first page of the Add Host wizard, enter the name or IP address of the managed host in the Host name field.
- Enter the username and password for a user account that has administrative privileges on the selected managed host.
- Click Next.
Copied from VMware site.